Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,816
Like?
Re: Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600
In reply to David Smith - Photographer, Jun 11, 2013

David Smith - Photographer wrote:

"And the D800 shows the shortcomings of the lens even more". Come on man, shortcomings, are you serious? Have you ever actualy photographed with this lens? The results are only disappointing or showing shortcomings to hardcore pixel peepers. If you need huge pixel perfect prints, buy a medium format camera.

Yes, I'm serious, and yes this is about "hardcore pixel peepers," so maybe you dropping into the conversation and ripping something I wrote out of its context fits your critique of that, but I believe it's useful to understand the entire context of what I wrote before bashing me for writing it:

"It's a matter of diminishing returns. DxO's rating of this lens suggests that it resolves all 12 MP from a D700, so the lens resolves more than the D700 can reveal, but it comes up short of everything that the D3x can reveal, and the D800 shows the shortcomings of the lens even more."

Every lens has some shortcomings, and even medium format systems have shortcomings if you look for them. Are you saying the lens in question has no shortcomings at all? Are you saying that it resolves more than the D800 can show? If you are not saying those things then you shouldn't have an issue with what I wrote.

BTW, did you read this post that I wrote in this same thread?  If you didn't then you should have before going off about what I've written here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow