Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to VirtualMirage, Jun 11, 2013

The desktop is very similar in looks and functionality as 7. As for the metro apps and the new Start screen, it's very easy to get rid of a Metro app (see below for how).

The start screen is a Metro app. I will appreciate the information on how to get rid of it.

The differences are very In Your Face and crippling for engineering and science users. I normally have at least dozens of programs to access industrial systems and subsystems installed, with confusing names. In the start menu they're grouped by manufacturer name and then by task to use them for - dead easy to find what I need.

I'm in IT and I don't find it crippling at all.

And I'm an engineer juggling dozens of manufacturers, each with multiple programs to connect to different pieces of hardware. Having those on a slab of a start screen is completely useless.

Not an annoyance.

Not a bother.

Not a bit impractical.

Completely useless.

There is no way to use Windows 8 for the tasks I do every day.

The desktop works just the same. Majority of my apps are not Metro based and work in the desktop. I imagine most of the engineering and science apps are still desktop applications as well and will work no differently than they have in the past. Multiple applications open? No big deal, works just as it did in 7.

And how do you propose I find them on that start screen?

You do know that the Start Screen can be organized and grouped to your liking, right?

So I need to sit down and manually recreate the groups which the installer would do for me on Windows 7? Tell me, how do you propose I find out which software does what, so I can create the hierarchy manually? In the start menu they're already grouped by manufacturer and function so I can easily locate what I need.

Or if you know the name of them, you can quickly find it by typing a few letters on your keyboard and select it via the quick search function.

I have no idea what they're named.

You don't even have to launch a program to search, just start typing.

You mean just like in Windows 7? Wow!

You can also pin them to the task bar or create shortcuts on your desktop just like you probably were in Windows 7.

I absolutely was not. We're talking at least dozens of applications, some of which I use every week, some I use every few months, and none of which I really enjoy being reminded of exist when I don't need them for the moment.

The hierarchy of the start menu is perfect for engineering and science professional use. The amount of applications required is staggering. It's clear you (and most everyone) can't even comprehend the magnitude of this problem.

And neither can Microsoft.

That works exactly the same.

Good for a browser and Outlook. Not so good for engineering software.

It seems like your biggest beef resorts around finding and launching the application and not when it comes to actually using it. How much time do you spend launching an application? A few seconds, maybe? A little organization will make it easier for you to find things or pin the ones you frequently used, problem solved.

And that organization comes for free in Windows 7. Why should I need to manually recreate it in Windows 8? Isn't that a problem I have a computer to solve for me?

In Windows 8 they're tiled up in the start screen with no organization and no way to tell what is for what, or even from what company.

Completely useless.

As mentioned above, easy enough to find. The Start screen can be grouped and organized to your liking, and don't forget your search options too.

Grouping and organizing is a waste of my time, not to mention I have no idea what the software does when it's just sitting in a pile on the start screen. I will have to dig through documents to figure out how to group it up.

Completely worthless.

And search is even more worthless as I have no clue what the software is named. Usually it's something like WizIndraEngineering.exe or some such. Or it may be named in German or Italian.

Turned off by who? You? The user who doesn't know what they are doing? Or those wishing to run Linux distros that doesn't have a KEK?

In the computers we have purchased from Dell recently it's been about 50/50.

Ummm.....it is an OS feature, it is built in to the OS and cannot be removed. You don't open a separate program to access or use, it is integrated into the functionality of the OS.

It's a separate program launched from Explorer. If you don't believe me, try to run copy from the command line and then pause copying. There is no change at all in the underlying OS file handling functionality.

That said, it's a very good choice by Microsoft to finally include it.

The Metro interface is your Start screen and only occupies one of the monitors, leaving the others in desktop mode.

Which is a wasted monitor.

As for visual cues, how much hand holding does one need to figure out how to use it? The Apple iOS and even Android don't have much in the way of visual cues, yet I don't hear people complaining about them for the lack of.

iOS and Android have visual cues for everything which is not natural sliding motions. Windows 8 does not. Hot corners are without cue. Sliding from the top down to list running applications has no cue. Closing a Metro app has no cue. Getting rid of a Metro app has no cue.

How is handling the Metro apps confusing? They take up a full screen.

That is exactly how they are confusing.

To leave them you hit the Windows Key.

Provided you have one. My keyboard doesn't. I have no use for one.

Meanwhile they stay resident in the background (much like how Apple OS X does). If you wish to close the app, move you mouse to the top left corner of the screen to bring up your active apps and close them. Easy.

Easy, but non-obvious, and adds unnecessary cognitive load. I have no desire to memorize arcane hot corners and keys to push to get out of applications I don't even want in the first place.

I will say that Microsoft could have done more to show these new methods to the end user. Remember the welcome tutorial that would pop up in the notification area on every fresh install of Windows XP? I remember finding that so annoying, but it was useful to the first timers out there.

I know of no-one it was useful for. People learn by following visual cues or skeumorphic expectations. Not by memorizing non-obvious spots or gestures.

Task Manager received more than just a cosmetic change. If you look closer, you will see it provides loads more of useful information compared to the Task Manager in 7. It's not just another pretty face.

Which is good, but hardly anything most people get much out of.

Which is pretty much immaterial to anyone actually relying on virtual machines (like I do a lot) as they need to have dedicated VM software anyway.

How so?

Seamless mode. Dynamic resizing of guest desktops (and not just for MS OS'es). Image management. It's good that it's included (the one in Windows 7 is a joke) but it's still very bare bones.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow