Win8 vs Win7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to Archer66, 10 months ago

The differences are very In Your Face and crippling for engineering and science users. I normally have at least dozens of programs to access industrial systems and subsystems installed, with confusing names. In the start menu they're grouped by manufacturer name and then by task to use them for - dead easy to find what I need.

This was about desktop and not about Modern UI. Just pin your most used programs to taskbar or create a shortcut on your desktop just like in Win 7.

You're seriously suggesting that pinning programs to a task bar will solve the issue of not knowing what program does what from what manufacturer?

Seriously?

I bet most power users do not even use Win 7 start menu, there is no need for it.

Either you don't read what I write or you don't understand the problem. Either way, your opinion on this subject is worthless.

You do know that you can change it ?

Into a hierarchy organized as the Windows 7 start menu? Even if I can, why do I have to spend the time and effort doing this when in Windows 7 is starts out exactly like I want it with zero effort?

You have no idea what the problem is here.

No it's not, most if not all new PCs have it on.

On the Dells we purchased in the last few months it has been about 50/50.

And even if it isn't a signed root kit will still bypass it.

Pardon ?

Microsoft leaks keys like a sieve. There are plenty of Microsoft signed viruses and root kits in the wild today. Why will that change now?

- Better file copying with enchanced dialog, you can even pause it

That's an application, not an OS feature.

WTF are you talking about ????

That it's an application. Sure, it's included, but if you move using another method there is no better copying. It's not implemented at an OS layer, it's just the Explorer copy dialog which is beefed up. There were plenty of such applications around going back to the NT4 days.

That said, good thing Microsoft included it. But it's hardly a change for a power user.

Again, this was about desktop.

You can never get away from Metro. If nothing else, the start screen remains Metro.

Hyper V isnt ?

It's a bare bones one. Hardly enough for power users. Or for me either, for that matter.

Err, there is big difference. Use Google to find out more.

Uhm. No. The printer still needs the driver. It's just that the dial home and get it method is smoother.

BS FUD

You've really shown you understand and can address all issues I raised. This level of response all along would have saved you a lot of typing, and is pretty much the level of comprehension of the issues you display.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow