Just Switched to the RX1 from the M9

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,481
Like?
Re: A 35 and a 50 ? 6K ? No way.
In reply to Chris Crevasse, Jun 11, 2013

Chris Crevasse wrote:

The disadvantage to wider angle lenses in portraiture is that in order to fill the frame with the face, one has to get close to the subject, which tends to distort facial features. It is a matter of perspective, not DOF. For this reason, when using my RX1, I try to establish some distance between the subject and me or have the subject turn her face obliquely, so that the nose and mouth will not appear abnormally large. Also, there are times such distortion can be used as an aesthetic element in a portrait, but it takes skill to do it well.

Rob

An interesting feature of the lens on the RX1 is that its barrel distortion counteracts much of the distortion you would otherwise see at the edges of the frame. For that reason, I often do not correct my raw files for distortion.

Chris,

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying, but I think that you may be referring to the keystoning effect that occurs when the lens is not perpendicular to parallel lines.  Personally, I don't think that barrel distortion inherent in the lens is a good way to deal with that.  Rather, I use actual perspective distortion correction tools that are available in most editing programs.

As for the RX1's barrel distortion, I routinely correct it with a custom lens distortion filter that I created in Photo Ninja.  Other raw convertors may have built in distortion filters.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow