Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
T Nels
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?
Question on 5D3 exposure accuracy.
Jun 11, 2013

It's now been about 7 months since I have owned the 5D3 which I purchased with the 24-105.  It's my first full frame dslr.  Compared to the exposures and histograms I get with my T3i, it seems that the 5D3 tends to somewhat underexpose images.  I tend to use evaluative metering.  Auto lighting optimizer is off, as is highlight tone priority.  I don't have any exposure compensation dialed in.  It just seems to me that images (and histograms bare this out) tend to be somewhat underexposed.  This rarely poses any problem since I shoot raw almost 100% of the time and make adjustments in post processing.  Just wondering if anybody else has had this experience or if there is a reason for this.  Is the camera somehow protecting against blown highlights and is programmed to err on the side of underexposing?  I will appreciate any responses.  I am otherwise very pleased with the performance of the camera.

T Nels's gear list:T Nels's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow