Just Switched to the RX1 from the M9

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
1JB
1JB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063
Like?
Re: Just Switched to the RX1 from the M9
In reply to Toccata47, 10 months ago

So we agree that the RX1 has a stop better dynamic range, more color depth and higher iso with less noise.  We disagree on whether that makes the M240 sensor "competitive" with the RX1.  I guess if they were both in the same body with the same features for the same price they could be considered competitive.  The reality is that a $7000 body with an inferior sensor along with a $3000 lens is less competitive than a $3000 camera, lens and superior sensor not to mention its additional features.

Now throw in the color, awb issue or whatever it is that is causing a stir about reds and skin tone renditions leading Leica to request skin tone samples so they can address the "problematic" skin tones on the M 240.  No "bull."

The live view on the M 240 is cumbersome.  There is "tearing" with panning, you're restricted to center focus and there's a time  lag with a black out along with a change in the image on the screen to the actual exposed shot when you half press the shutter, all the while as you try to manually focus, lock exposure and hope that the subject doesn't recompose during the lag. Great for macro but alas Leica doesn't make a proper macro M lens.

Maybe silly wasn't the right word for adding video to a manually focused rangefinder with subpar live view and limited auto exposure compensation as exposure changes  but I sure wish they'd spent the time and money on a better sensor. As I said in my prior post I really loved the M9, 25 cron and 50 lux but am disappointed in the M240 as an upgrade.  Oh, and if I was a troll I think I would have posted this in the Leica forum.   Perhaps a read of my earlier posts prior to your assertions about the M240 and who would buy an RX1 with a fixed 75 will give you second thoughts about my intentions.  I just didn't see myself with Leica five years from now when the next iteration of the M becomes widely available.  Time for me to get out and pick up the RX1 which has more than meant my expectations. Oh, and the new X Vario lived up to my expectations for Leica as I predicted in my prior post as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow