New Mac Pro's (finally announced)

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
alFR
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Re: New Mac Pro's (finally announced)
In reply to PenFan2011, Jun 11, 2013

Finally, I would be a little more enthusiastic if Apple had announced a 'dock' of some type to extend its abilities (PCIe and some spinning drives etc.). If they sell this new box at $2400, and you have to buy a $1000 expansion rig just to use the third party cards you need, I don't see this as a viable economical alternative.

Hopefully this is not the end of the tale, and we will see more promising Pro solutions for this new direction they have chosen.

You've got to remember that this was a "sneak peek", not a formal product announcement. Phil Schiller mentioned external expansion chassis in the keynote (about 57.40 in if you want to look): obviously i've no idea if this will be an Apple solution or third-party, but I'd guess they have something in-house under development.

My thoughts are that this is Apple doing to the pro desktop what they did to consumer machines with the iMac: throwing out the old (Firewire, optical, spinning drives), and making it smaller, sleeker and more efficient. Yes, external expansion means cables, but most pro users likely have something plugged into their existing machine anyway, if you daisychain it'll potentially only be 1 cable anyway and Thunderbolt has long-term advantages like long cable runs (much longer than USB IIRC) so you can hide a lot of stuff like storage arrays away.

It remains to be seen whether it's successful or not, of course.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow