Started Jun 10, 2013 | Questions thread
Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,964Gear list
Like?
Re: Kit lenses D350 vs. D650
In reply to Kormi, Jun 11, 2013

Kormi wrote:

Hi there,

I have an old D350 with kit lenses (never got past the beginner capability level till now) and especially at low light it doesn't take very good pictures (dim colors and obviously, no way without a tripod). And here I am not talking night, room light already is a big problem.

With "slow" f/3.5-5.6 lens indoors you can get good pics using a flash.  Not so much the built-in, get a high power accessory flash that can be angled for bounce.  Like the 430EX II, or similar from 3rd party makers.

Otherwise, in low light you can use the improved high ISO ability of the 650D, and/or you need a lens with wider maximum aperture.  One of the 17-50ish f/2.8 zooms, or a prime (single focal length) lens with maximum aperture of f/1.4 (e.g. Sigma 30 f/1.4 EX DC HSM), f/2 (e.g. EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 28 f/1.8 USM), or f/2.8 (e.g. EF 40 f/2.8 STM).

Many people keep telling me the kit lens on the D350 really sucked and that newer one could help me improve my pictures here. Is that true? What makes the D350 kit lens so bad and would newer one help? If so, could you please recommend one?

The original EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 has just so-so optical performance/sharpness, and it doesn't have image stabilization.  The current EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS (mk I, II or the new STM) are much better optically, and image stabilization 'fixes' images that otherwise would have blur from unsteady hold with slower shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow