PROFESSIONAL'S NEED A LICENSE

Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,326Gear list
Like?
Re: PROFESSIONAL'S NEED A LICENSE
In reply to Fotogroup, Jun 11, 2013

In my college days, years ago, I took a college course in Engineering Ethics.  (I am an engineer)   We studied the different Engineering Codes of Ethics that existed.  The professor repeatedly told us that you could not understand the codes unless you understood that the primary purpose of the engineering societies, back around 1900 or so, was to increase the pay for engineers, because at that time, engineers were paid quite poorly.   Hence the engineering licensing exams and corresponding legislation that government funded work had to be performed under the guidance of a professionally licensed engineer.    The lawmakers went along with it because a reasonable case could be made that public safety and effective use of taxpayer revenue would be increased if properly trained engineers were used on public works projects.

I have a hard time seeing how a similar scenario could play out for photography but I thought sharing this history might be helpful.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow