Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,184
Like?
Re: The Art of the Manual Flash
In reply to GHwell, 10 months ago

GHwell wrote:

Still the old f 16 rule

you can also look up and learn guide numbers but this way is faster and a much smaller chart

f16, iso 100, full power, at 12 ft on a 580 From here you can find any setting you need. I carry a little chart I made with all the break downs and different ISO and f stops

So I start at f5.6 1/8 power at 12 ft. remember half the distance doubles the power double the distance half the power and so on. double the distance again and you lose 4 times the power. Every time you add a flash you gain one f stop read your histogram do not rely on the camera screen unless you have already adjusted it. I set my 5d and 6d screens to minus 2 if I want them to be a close match to what the file will be

Not the first time I heard of this. I'm not so sure I could go with a chart and try figuring all that out when I'm busy. Although it looks daunting the first few times when you read it like anything else once you put your mind to it. Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to ETTL, let the system figure 80% of it and tweak the rest.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow