A Pro's opinion of EVF vs OVF

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,602
Like?
Re: Why the writing's not on the wall (and the new link)
In reply to chlamchowder, 10 months ago

chlamchowder wrote:

Anything a mirrorless camera can do can theoretically be done with a DSLR + live view.

There is one thing - mirrorless cameras give more options regarding lens designs, specifically wide angle lenses. That's their one, true advantage.
However, whether they take advantage of this is another matter. In film days, it was easy, but sensors are picky. It's no coincidence new Zeiss Touit 12mm for mirrorless cameras is a Distagon design.

Yep, that's an advantage - being able to adapt lenses.

You misunderstood me. I apologize, I should have wrote in more detail.

I did not mean adapted lenses. What I meant was that mirrorless lenses give more option for manufacturer to design native (wide) lenses. Mirrorless cameras can use proper wide angle lenses which can be designed as simpler, easier, smaller and can be better what the SLR have to use. Note the words "can use", and "can be designed", not they always are. Will they be designed this way is a different discussion, film didn't care what lenses you used, but sensors do and this complicates things. But, as I said, mirrorless simply gives more options for lens designers. A lot of the things you hear cited as mirrorless advantages over SLRs are really not, but this is the one thing that is (and amusingly, a lot of mirroless fans don't even know it).

You can look to Zeiss as an example, they make both lenses for SLRs (Nikon F, Canon EF mount) and mirrorless (Leica M mount). Take the 21mm lens, 21mm for SLRs is a 16-element lens, and much bigger than the 9-element 21mm for mirrorless. In this case, mirrorless lens is not better of cheaper (for the end customer), but it is smaller and simpler. Ironically, their new 12mm Touit for mirrorless (Fuji X and Sony NEX) cameras is a "Distagon" lens, so a retrofocus design. This is the opposite example, of how manufacturers do not really take advantage of what mirrorless cameras allow them to do.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow