Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,982
Like?
Re: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 user feedback needed
In reply to M J Valentine, Jun 10, 2013

M J Valentine wrote:

Hi Collett,

Thanks for the reply and samples. Does the lens focus reliably at f/1.4?

Yes it does. Reliably and consistently.

I wish I could say the same thing about my Canon 50L, where I still have problems with it on the 5dIII and the outer focus points. The 50L does fine with the center points, but not the outer in my hands at F1.2/1.4. I have had no issue at all with the Sigma 35F1.4 w/r/t focus, and I don't have that issue with any other lens.

I suspect it might have something to do with field curvature? The 50L is not particularly sharp in the corners wide open anyways, so for most subjects you would want to stay in the center of the frame with that lens anyways. Not so with the Sigma. The Sigma is noticeably sharper than the 50L at F1.4 to my eye, but the 50L has a more pleasing rendering and bokeh to my eye.

The first, fourth and last two shots I posted above are all F1.4. When I first got I also posted a test shot and crop to show that the Sigma 35 is also still very sharp even in the corners at F1.4 (see the link here http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50703202).

Thanks,

Martyn

Collett wrote:

M J Valentine wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 to complement a Canon 24-105mm. I am selling my 650D and 15-85 to buy a 6D and plan to use the fast prime for low light and general photography.

I considered buying a Canon 40mm f/2.8 but I am concerned that the extending focusing action may cause dust to enter the camera body so the Sigma 35mm would seem to be a good candidate, especially as it is significantly faster. I have previously used a Canon 35mm f/1.4 but didn't like the purple fringing at f/1.4 which the 650D's Digic V processor couldn't resolve.

I would get both. The Canon 40F2.8 pancake is a great compliment to the Sigma 35F1.4 Art because the Sigma is a large and heavy prime and the pancake is very light, cheap and discrete. And importantly, it has excellent IQ.

I have read many positive reviews about the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and would be grateful for feedback from owners. Does the lens focus accurately wide open? Any other problems/issues/regrets?

It focuses fast and very accurately on my 5dIII, and it has great sharpness and contrast. I am not sure if its me yet, or the lighting circumstance in which I have shot, and I have not done side-by-side comparisons - but I will say to me the colors appear to be different than my Canon lenses. The Sigma Art seems to have colder colors. The only other downside for me is its size and weight. It is not a small lens. Here are some shots so you can judge for yourself.

Have you needed to send the lens to Sigma for repairs in the UK? In this regard I have been advised by a well informed source that Sigma UK can take weeks or months to service a lens. Has any other UK Sigma user experienced such delay? I wouldn't want to be without a lens for months while it is adjusted for front/back focusing.

Thanks,

Martyn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow