Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203Gear list
Like?
Re: Specifically, what do you use Win 8 for? (nt)
In reply to Glen Barrington, Jun 10, 2013

Glen Barrington wrote:

What you lookin' here for?

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

A little bit of everything: work and play.

I use it to RDP to my VMs on my server, I do a lot of photo editing (Lightroom and PSE mainly), play games occasionally (mostly via Steam), surf the internet (despite IE improvements, I prefer Chrome), do Office work (mainly Word, Excel, Outlook, and the occassional Visio), pay bills, listen to music, watch movies, etc.

Which brings me to my other pro and con of 8:

Pro:

The RDP app Microsoft offers is very nice.  I used to use RoyalTS to manage multiple sessions, but now I am happy to use this app.  Switching is easy and the tile interface with screenshots of each session makes for an easy to understand view.

Con:

The Hyper-V Management console only supports Server 2012 Hyper-V and will not support Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.  You can't even install the the older Hyper-V Management console.  It's a shame since I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work other than MS forcing us to upgrade, the interfaces are extremely similar.  While it doesn't ruin my daily activities, it is a little annoying that I now have to RDP to my Hyper-V server to manage my VMs.  Eventually I was going to upgrade my server to 2012, but not right at this moment.  Until then, I guess I will have to take the extra step or two.  The other option is a third party app, but it isn't that important for me to install one of those.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow