Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
Re: stick with Win 7 if possible...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jun 10, 2013

Jim Cockfield wrote:

Win 7 = pretty good desktop OS

Win 8 = very bad desktop OS, especially from a User Interface perspective (but, with third party utilities, you can make it work more like Windows 7)

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

I agree with most of what you said (the faster boot/shutdown and how it is a form of hibernation) except that last part, Windows 8 being a very bad desktop OS. To each their own, I guess. I don't find the Windows 8 desktop experience as very bad. For the most part, it works quite well for me and I have been enjoying using it. In some ways, better than 7 due to its improvements with multiple displays and other features. In summary: while there is a little bit of retraining to do, it is no worse than 7.

I don't miss the Start menu and have worked quite well without it. It creating new tiles for every new install is a bit annoying, but I believe that has been resolved in 8.1.

I do like the quick access to all my admin tools from the bottom left corner of the screen.

I do miss my gadgets, but they were a nicety and not a necessity.

I do agree that if someone already has 7, there isn't a strong recommendation to upgrade to 8. But that is because 7 is such a great OS already. The desktop experience (once in the desktop via a single click on 8) between the two is very similar.

But if someone is in the market for a new PC, I wouldn't tell them to avoid 8 like the plague or to uninstall 8 and put 7 on. Take a day or few to acclimate to it and discover the new features, and they will be fine.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow