Win8 vs Win7

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,492Gear list
Like?
Re: Win8 vs Win7
In reply to gs85739az, Jun 10, 2013

gs85739az wrote:

Windows 8 will benefit those that use touch screens, mainly tablets/laptops, reaching across ALL DAY to a touch screen on a desktop will prove tiresome!

Not even close and what a way to feed bad information. Have you even used Windows 8? On a desktop even?

You don't have to have a touch screen, Windows 8 works just fine on a desktop. I don't have a touchscreen on my desktop and the OS has been working great for the past 7-8 months using just a mouse and keyboard.  Just be prepared to use the Windows key more frequently.

The Metro/Tile interface is the Start menu now and it is where you first start up in. The desktop mode works just like it did on 7 minus a Start menu.

Multiple monitors is better on 8 than 7, the task bar is now available on both screens. The tile interface only pops up on one screen, the other is always in desktop mode. Switching between the two is quick and easy. The tile screen can be switched from one monitor or the other based on your preference.

A lot of the more advanced tools for administration is quickly available from the desktop by hover your mouse over the bottom left corner of the screen and right clicking.

The OS has been rock solid stable. It's has been quick and responsive and I have run into very few issues.

One of my few gripes isn't the Start menu (I don't miss it), but the gadgets. Sure, I can pin a tile to one side of my desktop (like the weather app) but you can only pin one at a time and it takes up a lot of real estate. I miss having a Weather, Calendar, and CoreTemp gadget on my desktop. My other gripe is that anything I install creates a new tile on the Start screen, but this has been resolved in 8.1.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow