Best time to shoot insects?

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
SteB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,805
Like?
Re: I call that 'grazing'
In reply to bgD300, Jun 10, 2013

@bgD300

You did very well to get that close and you obviously have very good field skills. As you say if you show a none threatening posture, you can get close. The key is being aware of your subject, and seeing how it reacts. I use this a lot when approaching butterflies. For instance I have found butterflies with flick their wings open, even the ones without eyespots. In Butterfly speak, this says I've seen you, don't bother coming any closer or I'll fly off. This is an indication to a predator not to waste it's time.

Birds communicate in a similar way. Lots of them will do a quick dip when you are approaching them. Again it means I have seen you, and I'll fly off if you come any closer. Predators soon learn this, and they break off their stalk. It saves the energy of both prey and predator. If you learn to read these small signs you can use it to your advantage. Wait, and let whatever it is relax, before nudging forward again. Insects, with the possible exception of bees, aren't bothered about eye contact. However they do know when you are pursuing them. I have found that if you continue to follow butterflies, bees and dragonflies around in a certain area, that they will all eventually all leave the area. They seem to regard this behaviour as predatory, and do not stay in an area with an active predator.

I had an incredible experience with a Roe Deer Capreolus capreolus doe a few years back when photographing insects early in the morning. These are the shyest of deer, and true ghosts of the woods. I surprised this doe when I arrived. She watched me from cover as I notice they usually do. I think it is to see if you are pursuing them. I took a few shots with my 150mm macro lens at range. It was still not yet fully light. and then I deliberately turned away to indicate to the doe that I was not following her. We can communicate a lot to animals with bodly language if we understand their body language, and we display gestures they understand.

I never expected to see her again, and I expected her to leave. I got on with looking for insects. Incredibly she reappeared from cover and started to graze in the woodland clearing I was in. I deliberately showed disinterest in her. And she came ever more relaxed. I made no attempt to hide. Eventually she let me get closer and closer. I was then standing up photorgraphing her. Initially she was slightly disturbed by the shutter sound, and then eventually ignored it. She spent over 2 hours with me. I took hundreds of photographs of her with my macro lens, and video with my compact camera. She heard someone several hundred metres/yards away, and just disappeared into cover. They had a dog with them, and I was worried it would find her, it didn't. I thought I would not see her again. The incredibly minutes after they had gone, she reappeared at my side. This happened when 2 more people passed by. Their ears are independely directional. At first she always kept one ear locked on me, then eventually she trusted me so much, she pointed both ears away from me.

The link to the whole set including videos below (not the best video quality as the compact I used then wasn't good wtih video, but it shows how relazed she was with me, as I was standing up in the open).

The full set, includinging videos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow