Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,982Gear list
Like?
Re: Lenses: Did they get it right??
In reply to jyhfeei, Jun 10, 2013

jyhfeei wrote:

Nice summary.

I do think that Fuji is missing a telephoto prime. In the old days, by far the most popular telephoto lens was 135 f/2.8 (FF). A useful portrait lens for speed, size and low cost due to the relatively simple optical design. The 55-200 zoom's speed (~f/6 FF) in this range may not provide the bokeh many are looking for. The 56 f/1.2 (85 FF) will be there for portraits, but it will not have much reach and I suspect may be pricey. A 90 f/2 would have been a complimentary lens to add to Fuji's list, especially for those who already bought the 60 f/2.4 macro.

Perhaps this omission is not such a bad thing as it allows me to dust off my old Zuiko tele lenses and use them for this purpose. I can't wait for the phase peaking to make it to the XE1s/XPro1s.

Indeed a nice summary it was! I was thinking along the same lines as you when I realised there was nothing in it for me. As I have mentioned in a couple of responses to other posters, the 56 vs 60 if you use the 60/2.4 as a portrait lens - as I do - then the difference in angle might not be compelling enough.

Regarding manual lenses, I use a 105/2.5 Nikkor, bi-colour, fantastically sharp lens, great on tripod for cityscapes but horribly slow for tack sharp portraits in low light and manual focusing. I must say I struggle with the 105 and 3x magnification when the subject is even moving a bit. Changing aperture helps with focusing but find the amplification of light in the EVF in dim light distracting and then I still have to reset the aperture afterwards a fiddly process ...

Focus peaking would help, for sure - or a 90/2.0 Zeiss or Fuji that never eventuated.

Yet.

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow