The Art of the Manual Flash

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
kgbruce01
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245
Like?
Manual Flash
In reply to NYCphotoman, Jun 10, 2013

NYCphotoman wrote:

Shot a gig last night with Auto and TTL mode and it didnt quite work the way I expected it.

TTL always works the way I expect it to, %100. But I'm lucky, because I don't shoot events(anymore). I shoot in %100 controlled conditions (aside from outdoor shoots/ambient light), and have %100 control of timing and pace of the shoot.

Under these conditions, TTL is the same as all the other techniques I use, you just go about the steps differently.When I shot events, and know with other things I shoot, I used whatever would work for that particular shoot, and it always varied.

The 'techniques' for manual flash are Strobist, Joe McNally, and Niel V. Kirk. Read them all, three times in a row. Good luck and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask - I suggest getting a nice 3rd party speed light like a Youngo or Bowen (Bower?) with manual settings and a radio trigger.

Usually these modes work great for me, but this was a large dining room with high ceilings and it fooled the sensor.  I didnt have time to fool with the flash.

So Im going to start getting back to manual flash photography.  This is where you set the flash or flashes to one specific power and control the exposure with the camera settings (ISO, shutter speed, aperture).  You monitor the exposure with the LCD screen and on Canons they have this highlight detection.

What are the techniques you use for manual flash and event photography?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow