Which Lens to buy/recommend? (Canon 650D)

Started Jun 10, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ThruTheLenz
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Which Lens to buy/recommend? (Canon 650D)
Jun 10, 2013

Hi, I'm a relatively new hobbyist with photography. I currently have the Canon 650D w/ the included 18-55mm IS II Kit Lens. I am fairly happy with the quality from it when taking family portraits and foodtography, etc.

I'm now deciding on which lens to purchase for my upcoming trip to Hong Kong. While my 18-55mm does the job. I thinking of going for a wider lens. Though I'm not too sure which one to go for.

The purpose of this purchase may seem a little odd or stupid but I want to be able to:

• Take self-portraits with my mother and myself (hand held - i.e. arms stretched out without using a tripod); while maybe maximising the background/environment (The Symphony of Lights)? 
  • Take a few landscape / architectural shots of Hong Kong and the crowded streets , markets, etc. 

I've been looking at the Canon 10-22mm USM, the Sigma 10-20mm and the Canon 15-85mm (though I'm not too sure if the 15mm will be wide enough, seeing that the 18mm was already a bit difficult task and I'm quite happy with my kit lens at the moment). Which lens would be the most fitting for the time being?

Cheers.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow