Advice on Photo Software

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Questions thread
DistantView
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Re: Advice on Photo Software
In reply to rio911, Jun 10, 2013

Hi

Whilst the perceived wisdom is that you have to shoot RAW to enable post processing, my view is slightly different - yes, given the choice I shoot RAW + Jpeg but like most things in  life the old 80/20 rule comes into play.

80% (at least) of your shots can have basic alterations done to the jpegs using the Sony Play Memories Home (what a stupid name!) provided that you have some means of a) rotating the photo for wonky horizons & b) a noise reduction programme eg Noise Ninja.

The other 20% may need a RAW developer usually because they're good shots that haven't been exposed/composed well - this programme can usually carry out functions a & b to the 80% shots.

I tend to use Lightroom for RAW but it's not an easy programme to use (well, I found a pain to be honest), but it's very powerful & good value - (for Adobe!).

As others have said, try a few of the free downloads until you find one you like, worth taking a bit of time over this. See also a DPR review of various softwares a couple of weeks ago for a starting point

Good luck/good shooting !

RT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow