XPro-1 Depth of Field Question

Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Evidon
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
Re: XPro-1 Depth of Field Question
In reply to CraigArnold, Jun 10, 2013

Craig,

I like your idea for a DOF menu, but that would be confusing for the user who does not really understand what DOF is all about. All I was really after was whether there is something unique about the Fuji's DOF, or is the indicator in the viewfinder simply the product of an over conservative mind?

Frankly, I have never seen a camera that displays DOF range in the viewfinder. Old time camera users,  me included, enjoyed using the very easy DOF scales on the lens barrel of the better film cameras. Those scales, however, were designed for FF cameras and those scales are unusable on those lenses when fitted to smaller format cameras.

So, I suppose Fuji thought they were doing us a favor by bringing back the DOF scale in the viewfinder,and perhaps with some clarification on their part they may be doing a good thing.

In the meantime, conventional wisdom by current Fiji X users seem to indicate that the DOF and circle of confusion for these cameras and lenses are little different from the competition. So, I'll just ignore the very narrow range shown in the viewfinder and treat it as a decoration, while I continue to resort to external tables and/or calculators.

In the meantime, should any of you have any additional/new facts to share beyond the mostly helpful information already shared, please come forward.

Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow