Is FF really better than m43? and why?

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,918
Like?
Re: Is FF really better than m43? and why?
In reply to A2T2, Jun 9, 2013

A2T2 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

A2T2 wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

FF cameras give you a wider envelope of shooting conditions - for example a wider choice of DOF (depending on the lens, of course) and lighting conditions under which you can get the same shot.

No to all of the above, answer the question? dof blur is all acheivable now in post, the envelope you talk about is in your head.

You can level the playing field a bit with software blurring, but it's very difficult to use for some kinds of subjects such as the one below and it can result in some very unnatural looking edges.

Sean, that's an aps-c image, its a breeze with OOC m43 to do that, the point with m43 and really I am talking the OMD is the IBIS and primes.

I didn't say you couldn't take the picture below with M43 (which is closer to APS-C than FF), I used that image as an example of a subject for which its difficult to use software to blur the background.   You basically said "FF is irrelevant for shallow DOF because you can do it with software".   The image is an example of the kind of subject for which the software approach is very problematic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow