Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: Just Switched to the RX1 from the M9
In reply to Toccata47, Jun 9, 2013

Toccata47 wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

I'm with you on this.  If Sony releases an RX1 with a fixed 75 or 85mm lens, I will think very hard about getting it.

On the subject of Leica, it's no secret that their digital cameras have always lagged behind those of the Japanese manufacturers.  Basically, Leica digital M's exist to carry Leica lenses, and people who treasure their Leica glass simply have to put up with the weaknesses of the cameras.

Rob

No one will pay for a 75mm fixed lens camera. Take out the dp3m for a test drive.

More importantly, your information about leica is just not accurate. The sensor in the 240 is competitive with the 24m sony. Previous generations prioritized fine detail over iso relative to "japanese" sensor tech, and as a result hold up better even today when used with sufficient light or fast enough lenses. I don't find the m9 to trail behind the d700 or 5dmkii when used the way it is intended to be used.

As far as lenses go, well yes, camera systems need to be looked at as a whole. If M's added no value, you would see the same results using leica glass on a nex as you do on an M.

whether or not what you assert is true, the fact is that you have only to visit this forum, getdpi, serious compacts and even luf enough and you will see folks moving to the rx1 from their m9s rather than buying the m240. it may not be enough to make a dent in leica's base; i have no way of knowing - and maybe neither does leica, considering how long production times seem to be. but there is movement. i've thought of selling my m9, but i don't want to give up my 50mm summilux asph or my 90/4 macro-elmar - yet.

as for buying an rx1 with a fixed 75mm lens - you've just heard from a few people who would buy one - if it's in the rx1 format. i would actually prefer 85 and improved af, as 85 is the traditional portrait length on a ff camera, and i would like to start trying more portraits. but the point is there is interest. is it great enough to justify production of such a camera? only sony knows - i'm pretty sure they do market research before launching something like the rx1.

sales of cameras in general are waning. i think many buyers already have "good enough". there has to be something extra to justify another purchase. that was always, imo, leica's attraction. now there's perhaps another player. there could be room for both. i just don't think it's productive for leica owners to bash the sony without ever having owned it. same for those who bash leicas.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow