I’m still waiting for the right m43 camera

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
Re: I'd rather shoot in the present than the future
In reply to Elemental Photography, Jun 9, 2013

Elemental Photography wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think there is still lots of space to improve the state of m4/3 cameras. However, what I can use today is more than "good enough".

Yes, but if you are already shooting with something else, like a DSLR, the real question is, is there enough ADDED VALUE in moving to micro 4/3.  For me personally, I reached the point that there was, because I was tired of the bulk of my DSLRs and lenses that I wasn't bringing them on vacations -  but still only given the substantial price drops for cameras 1-2 generations older than the newest gear.  I recently bought in with an Oly E-PL2 and 14-42 kit lens for less than $200, and a Panasonic G5 with a 45-150 telephoto zoom with IS for less than $450 and miscellaneous adapters and spare batteries for about another $100.  So, at the level of investment where I could get a main camera and backup body, and 2 useful lenses and the necessary accessories for $750 yes it was worth it to me to make the move - while keeping my DSLRs until I could get enough familiarity and confidence it the robustness of the Micro 4/3 system to meet ALL of my needs.  But so far, I haven't bought any of the high grade lenses  or any new bodies which cost MAJOR bucks. The G5 actually surprised me by reaching a big price drop before it's replacement is in the stores and I bought - so really, I've just put my foot in the water - I haven't fully jumped in yet.

But that big G5 price drop so soon should be indicative that these cameras are over-priced when they are hitting the market.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow