Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,790Gear list
Like?
Re: Waterproof/beach camera to supplement my gear
In reply to mgn2, Jun 9, 2013

mgn2 wrote:

OpticsEngineer wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I got the recently discontinued Sony TX20 waterproof and shockproof. Very compact and takes nice photos.  It was $189.

How do the Panasonic options compare?

Your iPhone with waterproof case will have better IQ than any compact waterproof camera.

From what I've used and seen:

Sony tx20 - bought and sold - best IQ out of the four here but all touchscreen control is super annoying and makes the camera just way too fiddly and not fun

Nikon aw100 - underly horrible white balance and focus ...gave to my ex-girlfriend ...hehehehe

Olympus TG-2 - what an oversized and overpriced piece of junk. Noise reduction is horrible ...Olympus deserves to go out of business with noise reduction like that

Panasonic ts20 - one of the funnest beach cameras I've ever used ...got mine for $139 bucks ...ts25 is the replacement ...bought this about a year and half ago before the Oly, Sony and Nikon ...and the only one I kept and am still using. IQ is horrible, super slow  ...love this little thing.

Just realize, whatever you buy, that these waterproof compacts are horrible IQ wise, with, what I've seen, the more expensive ones having worse IQ with just more features for the money.

...get a good iPhone cover is my suggestion.

A few Panny ts20 beachers:

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow