Considering Canon

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering Canon
In reply to Colin Franks, Jun 9, 2013

Colin Franks wrote:

I'm considering the purchase of a new 5D Mark III.  I humbly ask my question knowing that I don't know the first thing about the lens offerings for this camera.

5DIII is a great camera.

For the last few years I've been using a M4/3 camera (Panny G3) and I've been happy with the overall coverage of the three lenses that I do have for that:  a 20mm/1.7 prime;  a 14-45;  and a 100-300. (Double those figures due to the crop factor).

40/2.8 pancake on 5D3 is lots better than 20/1.7 on mFT.  Buy kit with 24-105L that is also much better than 14-45 on mFT.  100-400L is your choice that is also noticeably better and AF lots faster than Panny 100-300 although it's much heavier.

So I'm asking you, what would be the 2-3 lenses that would suite my needs with the Canon?

If you want similar coverage as those mFT lenses you mentioned above, the above three lenses are good choices.

I shoot all over the map, but not studio portrait work.  I assume that I'd need to spend a lot of money in order to achieve the reach of my present 600 (equiv), and perhaps I'll need to be content with a shorter reach in order to avoid mortgaging my house, but I suspect that there might be some level of consensus on what might be some wise choices for me.
Thanks.

Don't worry about eq 600mm reach.  I used to use 100-400L on my 60D which has 640mm FF eq reach at 400mm side in zoo photos.  I just recently used 100-400L on my 5D3 instead in the same zoo and I found I could match to "reach" by just cropping more.  FF 5D3 has much better cropping ability than 1.6x no mention 2.0x crop while still maintain good IQ.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow