Canon EF 50mm 1.4

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Throgmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 785
Like?
Re: Canon EF 50mm 1.4
In reply to Tnisson, Jun 8, 2013

Tnisson wrote:

I just received the canon EF 50mm 1.4 lens for my birthday from my sweet wife.  I have always wanted 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 lens so I was super excited.  My only  concern is I've read many people complain that it has a short life span for AF.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had bad experiences with it or if they have been good?  I've considered returning the 1.4 and buying the 1.8, but I wanted to hear some feedback before doing that.  Thank you!

-Tom

50mm f/1.4 should be a great lens on crop for portraits.  I think you're better going with the f/1.4 versus the f/1.8.  Image quality between the two will likely be similar (I've rented the f/1.4 and never used the f/1.8), but the f/1.4 should give you a better background from f/2.8 to f/4 because there are more aperture blades.  The nifty fifty can give pentagon bokeh... not the end of the world by any means, but it's nice to have rounded out of focus highlights.

Build quality will be much better too versus the f/1.8.  Some do complain of focus mechanism failure, but there aren't really a lot of other EF mount options.  Sigma makes a 50mm f/1.4 that people like, but some say it doesn't focus reliably.  Personally, I use the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 Planar and think it is fantastic, but it is manual focus only and the new price is a few hundred dollars higher than the Canon.

Have fun with it!  I think you'll enjoy the results.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow