Dpreview Nikon Coolpix A compatative review published

Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Re: How's that Nikon A for Portraits? Or Sports?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Jun 8, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

coudet wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

How's that D7100 for discrete street shooting or informal people shots at non photo-centric events?

It's bigger than Coolpix A, but in the world where everyone shoots with a cellphone (and you see them from a mile away when they do), anyone using anything other than a cellphone is gonna really stick out.

Ultimately, biggest difference is in the mind of the photographer. If the smaller camera makes you less self-aware, then the A may, indeed, be better for that self-aware photographer.. Best ones don't sneak and hide what they do.

I take your point, and I agree its in the mind of the photographer up to a point. I've shot street with cameras as small as a GRD3 and as large as an X-Pro and I feel I can shoot discretely with either. Although a large DSLR with a loud mirror might be pushing it - in any case I don't think I'd try...

But I seem to recall Garry Winogrand talking about how he used to pause when he saw a street photo opportunity developing in front of him, act like he was taking a shot of some distant thing, maybe off-direction from where he saw the shot developing, then bring the camer down to his waist and act like he was fiddling with something on the camera, as he actually took the shot he was planning all along. He was one of the "best ones" I'd say - one of the all time greats. And that sounds kind of like sneaking and hiding. So I won't feel too bad if I shoot from the waist and look away before I take the shot as a distracting move. I don't think I'm any great shakes as a street photographer, but one of the best street photographers I've seen in recent years told me he basically does the same thing.

I think its all in the final result. I've seen some street photographers work who take the total opposite approach and nearly assault their subjects with the camera. I hate that as a technique and could never do it, but I've seen some incredibly good photographs made that way too.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

What about the "can I take your picture?" approach

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow