Sony 70-400G(version 1) - how sharp wide open at 400mm?

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,257Gear list
Like?
Sony 70-400G(version 1) - how sharp wide open at 400mm?
Jun 8, 2013

Been evaluating my copy of the lens (G1 version) - as I do with all my lenses, taking test shots, both handheld and on a monopod and tripod.

It's looking good ! I do have a question about the 400mm performance wide open. Some folks say theirs is razor sharp at 400mm wide open - may I ask, if you are such a person - do your shots even look razor sharp at 400mm wide open when viewed at 100% magnification? Care to post some examples? I ask because my 400mm shots look good at screen size (24 inch monitor) and I imagine would make good large prints, but viewed at 100% they are a bit soft on screen. This could be my particular lens, the a77 being a bit grainy when you view at 100% anything over ISO 100, or it could be my technique (or all of these). In order to calibrate my expectations it would be nice to see some real world crops at 100% from raw - I have seen a few shots of tests charts from published reviews but I find it hard to judge how that relates to real world shooting.

Do please share your thoughts. I currently shoot raw BTW and use either LR4 or DXO to process.

And please don't lecture me about 100% view pixel peeping - I am not obsessed about it, but for certain things, such as assessing NR and sharpening, I like to use it, and also when evaluating a copy of a lens for flaws. I don't endlessly obsess about how things look at 100% view.

This post is simply motivated by a desire to establish if my lens is performing within spec and try to get to the bottom of what folks mean when they say the lens is "tack sharp" at 400mm wide open.

I am very grateful for any input !

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow