Considering Canon

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,204
Like?
Why?
In reply to Colin Franks, Jun 8, 2013

Colin Franks wrote:

I'm considering the purchase of a new 5D Mark III.  I humbly ask my question knowing that I don't know the first thing about the lens offerings for this camera.

Wonderful camera, one of the very best. but, what does your current camera not do what you want the 5D mk III to do? You do not just want to duplicate what you have now, do you?

For the last few years I've been using a M4/3 camera (Panny G3) and I've been happy with the overall coverage of the three lenses that I do have for that:  a 20mm/1.7 prime;  a 14-45;  and a 100-300. (Double those figures due to the crop factor).

To duplicate what you have now, just with a bit bigger max. apertures due to FF, would be:

Canon EF 40mm STM (about half a stop bigger aperture compared to the 20mm you have now).

Canon EF 24-70mm f4 L IS USM. Goes quite a bit wider than your current standard zoom, and has an aperture equivalent to f2 on MFT (due to bigger sensor).

Sigma 50-500mm or 150-500mm. Relatively affordable. Or Canon EF 300mm f4 L IS USM with Canon EF 2x TC III.

So I'm asking you, what would be the 2-3 lenses that would suite my needs with the Canon?  I shoot all over the map, but not studio portrait work.  I assume that I'd need to spend a lot of money in order to achieve the reach of my present 600 (equiv), and perhaps I'll need to be content with a shorter reach in order to avoid mortgaging my house, but I suspect that there might be some level of consensus on what might be some wise choices for me.
Thanks.

It would be helpful if you would state the reason for the upgrade. Just copying what you have now, but with different sensor size, seems a bit odd.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow