Considering Canon

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,494
Like?
Re: Considering Canon
In reply to Colin Franks, Jun 8, 2013

It is possible to buy a fairly cheap combo of lens + teleconverter to get to 600mm, particularly if you allow third party manufacturers.  But, like always, you get what you pay for.  If you really want the best quality, crisp, clear pictures of birds like you sometimes see in these forums, you have to be aware that those guys spent a large chunk of change on those lenses.

Personally, I don't see the attraction in birds.  I suspect some people take up birding just as an excuse to buy nice expensive equipment :-).  But, a good lens like that is usually less than one might spend on a car, for example.  So in the end, it is ultimately affordable if you really want it.

I content myself with slightly less insanely priced toys like the 24-70 f/2.8L II, and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, and the Samyang 14mm.  If I can't take good pictures with those, I know it is not the equipment. So I gravitated more towards the wide end.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow