Ever wonder if we’re losing the art of photography and it’s being replaced by pixel peeping?

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
Ever wonder if we’re losing the art of photography and it’s being replaced by pixel peeping?
Jun 8, 2013

While listening to NPR today I heard that the entire photography staff of the Chicago Sun Times was let go, including Pulitzer Prize winning photographer John White.  So after hearing about this I thought I’d take a look at some of John White’s work and the first thing that caught my eye, other than the fact that he shot with a Nikon, was that his work is beautiful but perhaps only if 'nowadays' you can divorce yourself from pixel peeping.

So I started to wonder if we are somehow losing the art of photography and that precious moment where something is captured that is really special but not photographically perfect, and having it replaced by many who would immediately reply: It’s too grainy, or it’s out of focus, or too bad there are blown highlights.

I just wonder what happened to that immediate sense of attraction to an image that makes us stop and think about how special the moment was or about the story it tells – these days is it lost in the pixel peeping?

Just a thought.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow