Started Jun 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sachinn
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
The DX Prime Conundrum
Jun 8, 2013

Though I've been on dpreview for years, this is my first thread. So first, let me thank all of you fellow photographers for the shared knowledge since I picked up my first DSLR (the venerable D40).

Since the D40, I upgraded to a D90 a few years back. I've learned that I prefer shooting with prime lenses (24, 35, and 85 FL's primarily) and having a zoom that starts at 24 on the wide end for convenience. Which brings me to the topic of this thread, and my specific dilemma regarding which I'd appreciate your feedback.

The Nikon DX lineup is lacking in prime lenses at the wide end. This has been discussed ad nauseum, my goal in bringing this up is not to revive that discussion but to set the stage for my question. Any advice or experience regarding switching from DX to the Oly OM-D versus the D600? I would particularly like to hear from anyone who moved from DX to an OM-D or D600 and regretted that decision.

Some factors to consider with regard to my preferences: Cost is not an issue. Photography is my hobby, not my job. Smaller/lighter is preferred, but the weight and IQ tradeoffs should be proportional in my eyes (I realize this varies widely based on personal preferences). Large prints are not in the future for over 99% of my photos, they're primarily viewed online.

Your opinions and experiences are much appreciated, as always.

-Sach

Nikon D40 Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow