Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
averacpa
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Re: Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price
In reply to MichaelKJ, Jun 7, 2013

If I were Panasonic or Olympus, I would be concentrating on the retiring baby boomers and not the professionals or younger folks.  If you look at the demographics. they not only make up an ever increasing population, but they travel extensively (more than any other age group) and have the money to spend.  What they don't want is bulk and weight.

High end, simplicity, functionality and quality.  I know as I am one of them.  I have traded almost all of my Canon and Nikon equipment for M4/3 from both Panasonic and Olympus.  The key reason is simply weight and bulk.  I don't want to lug a 20lb backpack anymore when a 5-6 lb small bag will carry the same range in lenses and don't make me stand out for thieves.

Start placing ads in travel magazines and gear the advertisement toward them and it will sell.  I just don't think the baby boomers know that this type of photographic equipment exist.  I only found out about it after I bought my LX5 for my main travel camera (my travel bag consisted of the LX-5 plus close up filters, monopod, Leica 8-20 Ultravid binoculars, and an iPod for communications/video abroad - a pocket computer).  Once I discovered the GX-1 and the other assortment of bodies and lenses, I was hooked.

I think this is a missed opportunity.  This is not a competition against DSLRs, but an untapped market.  On the plus side, most of these folks remember range cameras and the classic style from yesteryear which these cameras appear to emulate.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow