Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Laszlo13
Contributing MemberPosts: 809Gear list
Like?
The Fuji sirens are calling
Jun 7, 2013

I know the topic of Fuji X series vs. m4/3 has been debated to death.  However, a major parameter has changed: Fuji now has very aggressive pricing.  With the price cuts on bodies - and lenses (if purchased together) one can pick up a very nice kit at a great price, I should say very competitive price.

As such - it's easy for one to be swayed by Fuji system, even if one was steadfast about m4/3.  I spent a considerable amount of time revisiting the various reviews, lens tests, etc.  Interestingly, the Fuji forum is now filling up with threads about people dumping their GH3, OMD, or NEX systems, prompted by the discounts.

The attractiveness of the Fuji system seem very emotional.  Most of those threads state that people didn't find a noticeable increase in IQ.  It's well know that operationally, the m4/3 (and presumably NEX) have a clear advantage.  Features like weather sealing, IBIS, flip out touch screens, better video, etc. are being forsaken.  The lenses are listed as a major attraction - and I must give kudos to Fuji for outsmarting the industry by introducing relatively fast kit lenses.  However, other than the well priced zooms - the lens selection overall, and the IQ of the primes, can't possibly be stated to be better than m4/3.

The image quality debate seems to be personal.  For myself, in all comparisons I've seen (on sites like Steve Huff) - I personally preferred the contrast, clarity, and color of the OM-D.  The Fuji does remind me of film more, in particular 35mm negative film, which I never really liked to begin with.

So why am I also debating switching?  I guess it's the classic styling, traditional user interface (which I would prefer), and the physical quality / attributes of both the lenses and bodies.  In essence the external beauty of the system.  And as a hobby, photography is all about emotions - associated not just with the resulting art, but the whole process of taking photos - including the equipment.  Nevertheless, I will resist the call of the Fuji sirens - rationally it doesn't make sense for me to switch.  But I hope the defection of many will at least prompt Olympus and Panasonic to respond in pricing - as well as products.  Olympus' father day sale is too small of a step.

Laszlo13's gear list:Laszlo13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow