Going to be getting a D7100 need help with first lens choice?

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
Re: Going to be getting a D7100 need help with first lens choice?
In reply to mgd43, Jun 7, 2013

Smiller4128 wrote:

Well I've decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on getting a Nikon D7100. My Canon T4i is great but I'm looking for something with more controls, a bigger viewfinder, more MP as I tend to crop images quite a bit. Anyways, I need help with the first lens that I'm going to get for it. Here are my choices:

-18-105mm kit lens. Seems decent however a plastic mount worries me. With D7100, comes out to $1500.

-Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR AF-S. Buying with the D7100, there's a special that knocks off $100 and brings everything to $1700

-Nikon 16-85MM. The lens I prefer cause of the wide angle at 16mm. No specials on it with the D7100 unfortunately. Brings the total with the D7100 Body to $1800.

-Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens. Buying with the D7100 brings it down $250. Total with body is $1800.

I'm just trying to find the best starting lens I can at the moment. if the 18-105mm lens is plenty good to start and is fine with being a plastic mount. Then I'll just opt for that. However, if any of these other lenses are a better option, I may as well save the $300 on the 18-105mm and put it towards one of these other lenses. Just looking for some advice. Thanks guys!

The 18-105 is a very good lens at a good price. The 16-85 is a little wider, maybe a little sharper, and has a metal mount. If you are rough on your gear, the 16-85 may be worth the extra money. If not, I would save the money and get the 18-105. 24mm on an APS-C camera is not wide enough in my opinion, so I wouldn't consider the 24-85.

The 18-200 is controversial. Like other all-in-ones, some people love them, others hate them. On the plus side, they are convenient and you don't lose shots because you have the wrong focal length on the camera. It also is less expensive than covering its focal lengths with two or three lenses, and it saves weight and space. The negative is that you lose some image quality especially at the long end. IMO, if you don't print larger than 8x10, or if you only display your photos electronically, and you do some postprocessing you probably won't see much difference. If you print much larger or if you are a pixel peeper you probably won't be happy. All in all it's a bit of a gamble. Of course if you buy from a reputable dealer, you could exchange it for one of the other lenses if you're not happy with it.

That was extremely helpful! Thank you! I was indeed looking at both the Sigma and Tamron 17-55 f2.8 but wasn't sure how they stacked up against Nikon lenses being 3rd party. So thank you very much!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow