New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dan Montgomery
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: New Epson r3000 prints darker than old Epson 4000
In reply to sporry, Jun 7, 2013

Adding another data point; I am also having the same problem. My R3000 is and has been printing too dark.

Windows 7, Photoshop 6.

I'm a long time Photoshop/Epson user, my calibrated monitor used to match the prints from my old 2200 printer beautifully, until that printer died 6 months ago. Using the same monitor and computer my R3000 prints are too dark. B&W, color, matte, luster and semi-gloss, all Epson papers. I've re-calibrated the monitor, played with all the profiles and settings I can find. I've manually turned down all the settings on my monitor to match the prints until everything else on the internet looks oddly dark and color shifted.

In frustration, I've had to resort to adding a lightening layer to the image just before printing.

Quoting from DPReview's own tests of this printer, "The overall print is darker than the original file, possibly equivalent to about ½ stop under exposure. The portrait of Sophie shows either a good suntan or generous application of a fake tan." " The B/W image is neutral but detail on the door in the far arch has become blocked up." "The black reel is far too heavy, individual strand detail has been lost. The brown reel is also far too dark"

DPReview concluded, "The quality of printing is first class, I calibrate my monitor before any printer review so I am confident that it is displaying accurate colours, however I still had to to lighten up the files with an adjustment layer before printing."

Dan Montgomery's gear list:Dan Montgomery's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow