verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,031Gear list
Like?
Re: KONIKA 40 1.8 vs CANON 50 1.4
In reply to bzx, Jun 7, 2013

bzx wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

I don't know if you have seen few 50mm shots in my gallery -

Canon FD 50 f1.4 has ugly bokeh, but you should not mix the bokeh with the subject isolation abillity. Of course, you can get some nice smooth background with the lens in propper conditions.

I will make more 50mm tests in the future, there are many waiting for it, but I have to find the time.

Yes I have seen tests on your website and the shots at dpreview and I enjoy these very much. The Canon might have an ugly bokeh but then again, I think it depends on the background.. This one is done with the lens I haveat 2.8 I think - I can't complain much really but I can see on the right there's an area where the blur is kinda distracting. The distance to the background is not constant on this picture and the area which is farthest has a great blur imho. So in general it's not perfect but the overall boka is not that ugly, is it?

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

Bokeh is certainly subjective thing.

Sometimes, you want to recognize a shapes in the background, sometimes you want to blur it to the extreme, someimes you want background to be nervous, but lens bokeh is only partialy going to influence the result.

Selection of the background, distance from it, selected aperture, colors and most of all - lighting, will participate on the final look more. But that is subject isolation issue, not the bokeh.

Bokeh is a lens way of rendering transitions between focus and out of focus plane. That is a part of the image that you are reffering to as slightly distracting and this is where Canon FD 50 does not excell.

But as I said, you can make great subject isolation and smooth looking background with almost any lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow