XPro-1 Depth of Field Question

Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: XPro-1 Depth of Field Question
In reply to Jim Evidon, Jun 7, 2013

Jim Evidon wrote:

From a practical standpoint, i agree with most of your comments except for the ones that refer to the fact that the Fuji has no anti-aliasing filter.  C of C and DOF are the result of mathematical equations that do not take the media (film or sensor) quality into consideration. It would seem that from the equation standpoint alone, the only variables  that apply are format size (film or sensor), focal length and lens opening (F stop). See the formulae below as copied from:

The print medium (or any other type of display) comes into play through the 'acceptable sharpness'. Acceptable sharpness also depends on the individual, so CoC can vary quite a bit between people, applications, and desired end results.

Indeed, Fuji is quite conservative in its DoF calculation. I have suggested in the past to make it possible for the user to set the CoC in the camera. That way, one can adjust the DoF scale to one's liking. I highly doubt that Fuji will provide such a feature, though... In the meantime, one has to resort to tables or cell-phone apps.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow