Please help me, MAJOR buyer's remorse and am about ready to pull my hair out!

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
roperc3
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Please help me, MAJOR buyer's remorse and am about ready to pull my hair out!
Jun 7, 2013

Hi folks,

I’m at the end of my tether.  I’ve spent the last six weeks agonising on what camera to choose after selling my trusty LX5.  I decided to upgrade my gear (and develop my ability) to m43 and after many hours of meticulous research I realised, to my disappointment, there was no ‘perfect’ camera for me.

Notwithstanding this, I realised that there were three cameras each vying for my attention:

1)      Fuji X-E1

2)      Panasonic G6

3)      Olympus OMD EM5

The major selling points of each were image quality in 1), the range of features and general usability in 2) and a combination of image quality and IBIS in 3).

Now, the problem is, each of them also has major flaws: the slow auto-focus in 1) the lack of IBIS and slightly worse sensor in 2) and the lack of pop-up flash/poor menu/poor focus tracking in 3).

In the end, I went for 3).  I have slight shakier hands than most people so thought I’d appreciate the IBIS a whole lot.

I wanted a camera that was versatile, with a good range of lenses and that would produce DSLR quality images the majority of the time.  I’m a novice photographer so I’m going to stick with the kit lens for the time being until I learn to use the camera.  I have a BBQ to go to on Saturday and I intend to take the camera to see what results I can get from it.

Now, I’m not a rich person by any means and this camera will have me paying it back over coming months.  The lack of body-flash didn’t worry me at first given that low-light performance was meant to be good.  However, I have remembered that I use fill flash quite often when in sunny climates to ensure I get nice, well-lit portraits with sunny backgrounds.  How can it be done on the OMD?  Would I have to use the external flash in order to do this or will the camera expose better than the LX5 in these conditions?

I’m now seriously worrying that I may have just spent £950 on a camera that will be more hassle than the LX5.  I really want to improve my skills and to do so with equipment that has the potential to be brilliant if used correctly, but not if there severe limitations that will inhibit its convenience.

I do apologise if this sounds like I’m purely looking for validation for the purchase – I just know that I’ve spent hours on these forums trying to get a feel for these cameras and I want to be sure the OMD is the right one for me.  I use cameras for street, travel and friends/family pics.

If anyone could provide me with their experiences of using the camera I’d really appreciate it.  I really hope the investment was worth it.

Thank you,

Chris

roperc3's gear list:roperc3's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow