D50: Reason to Spend More?

Started Jun 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
jkjond
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,714
Like?
Re: D50: Reason to Spend More?
In reply to DB3, Jun 7, 2013

DB3 wrote:

The following are recent snaps of no particular artistic merit. However, they are all a little disappointing in that, to me, they appear rather mushy and lacking in detail. I know they don't compare favourably with the technical skill shown in those on another recent D50 thread, but will I benefit from spending more?

Comments added to each pic.

Tricky light. Shooting in the dark with a bright background like this has huge dynamic range. A more up to date camera would help capture that range, but its still going to be a trick one. I think you could have opened up slightly to get more shadow detail, or just processed it more. Do you use raw? If not, then you're only half using the camera for shots like this. Raw has greater dynamic range than jpg and saves more data in the file, though if you don't post process you will not get any benefit (in fact, unless you pp, then the results will be worse). I think this could have been a pleasing image.

Another tricky light situation, but a pleasing composition. Maybe just a little more image at the bottom as the foreground interest is what controls the shot - yours is slightly too tight a crop. A bit of pp would have transformed this image. Nice range of colour in the foreground - and notice how the wb has got the bluebells correct in this shot, where they are completely out in the previous one. Bluebells are very high in UV and were notoriously difficult to get right in film, though film was hard to correct after the shot.

Sorry, but this last one is one of tne of the dullest photos I've seen in a while. Its not the technical side or camera, its simply not an interesting shot. As John Clinch said, light is everything - though in this case, you'd need a spectacular cloud or phenomenal sunset plus some frost on the ground and two frolicking horses or that woman from that classic tennis poster to draw anybody in.

The 50 was an excellent camera in its day, and can still deliver spectacular photos. I'd say you aren't getting the best out of the camera as is, so more practice and experimentation is needed (if the light is tricky, then bracket the exposure so that you increase your chance of getting one right - cards are cheap). Shooting in raw and learning some basic pp skills will transform the quality of your images.

But you need to think more about purpose in your shooting and learn the difference between what looks good to the human eye, and what works as a photo.

-- hide signature --

UK wedding photographer in the Lake District
http://www.johnleech-weddingphotography.co.uk
For my landscapes and fine art photography:
http://www.johnleechstudio.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow