Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alithenake
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Review Sony A58
Jun 7, 2013

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I had for test a Sony A58 and a pretty kit with it.

I won't translate here the entire review, but I would like to post some of the photos I've made during our photo trip, a video made entirely with this camera and the final conclusions after the test.

The video is here: http://youtu.be/T5KUg3jldWg

Conclusions of the test

I liked

• It's OLED EVF – for the first time an EVF succeeded in convincing me of its advantages
  • Dynamics of the sensor even at high ISOs
  • Noise reduction function that aplies various levels depending on zones of the image
  • The quality of the JPEG out of the camera
  • It's light body
  • The user manual was offered also in Romanian (a problem with other cameras and manufacturers)
  • Wireless Flash system – as far as I know this is unique for a body in this class
  • ISO standard hot-shoe
  • Battery was impressing – I shot continuos from dusk till dawn (photos and video)

I didn't like

• LCD screen – the weakest point of the camera in my opinion - low resolution (480k dots) makes little room for the UI that gets over the image (in 3:2 aspect ratio where I shoot most) and this makes composing the image difficult
  • Auto-focus in low light - hunts too much for focus and many times I had to move to manual focus
  • In-body SteadyShot - is not up to the performance of optical vibration reduction
  • During video, very often the camera loose focus, even if the came back is almost instantaneous

If you want to see more pictures and details of the gear I've used, you can see the entire review here: Review Sony A58.

Even if it's in Romanian, you still have the images (that speaks many languages :D) and the EXIF info in English. For the rest of the text there is Google Translate, but I cannot guarantee for it

Regards,
Alin Popescu.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow