Started Jun 7, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bakerrrrr
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
D3 firmware updates--CF card compatibility
Jun 7, 2013

I've been trying to get answers from Nikon support.  The responses I get are the support persons' best efforts, but it's never enough.  I keep having to ask more because the answers are very narrow and a little vague.  Now that their Website is temporarily being fixed, I can't even log on to my account to ask for more help.

I use a D3 among other Nikons.  Lately the D3 is missing some shots, (missing=the image file is corrupted and won't open ~10 out of 100 shots).  One support person thought it might the CF cards I'm using (Lexar Pro UDMA 400x 16GB).  After that exchange, I also discovered the firmware needed updating;  it's still A:2.00/B:2.00.

Why so tardy?  I vaguely recall some early discussion on DPR soon after I got my D3, when 2:01 became available, that one should wait because of some concerns.  So I did.  Afterwards, I totally blanked the update(s).  And my D3 worked fine, until recently.

Yesterday I got conflicting instructions from N support via telephone and e-mail.  One technician said update 2:03 first and then 2:02.  Didn't say anything about 2:01.  Also said my problem with CF cards will disappear after the update.  Another technician, reading from some database for answers, said I can't update backwards, so must start with 2.01, and then, after updates my D3 will able to use up to 64gb CF cards, BUT nothing over 300x.  Looking at the Nikon website for further confirmation provided a different answer, maximum of 8gb using 300x Lexar Pro UDMA.

Looking for someone with first hand knowledge (as compared to reading out of a database book) who can confirm the firmware update order/issues and what CF cards will work flawlessly with the D3 after updates. Thanks

-- hide signature --

bakerrrrr

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow