D5100: Card capacity error

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Lena Hale
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
Re: Normal
In reply to jimoyer, 10 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

I would DEFINITELY be shooting in RAW.  Not only from a pure photo quality standpoint, but also from a "preserve your memories" standpoint.  If you go somewhere and completely screw up the exposure, there's only so much you can do with a JPEG before what you're doing causes more harm to image quality than the original screw up.  Shooting in RAW will allow you significantly more latitude not only to save pictures that are far too dark (or light), but also gives you much more latitude with the right post processing to make just an OK snapshot into something spectacular by playing with shadows, highlights, etc.

To preserve as much storage space as possible, I'd shoot 12 bit compressed.  Although I'm sure you can find someone who can see a difference...and ultimately it's not THE best setting for getting the absolute best image quality even remotely possible......it's the best compromise of file size and file quality.  I personally have done some serious pixel peeping to try to see a difference between 12 bit compressed and 14 uncompressed, and I can't see a difference.

Okay... thank you. I leave in July, so until then I'll just experiment with 12 bit and 14 bit (is 14 the RAW? Sorry, I've never touched these settings) and see for myself what the differences are/are not- I'm still at entry-level, though, so chances are I won't see a difference either if someone who's looked really hard can't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RMNew
$60?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow