Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alpha Jack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402Gear list
Like?
Travel sans PC
Jun 6, 2013

I know this is the PC forum, but it seems like the best place to ask. I am about to travel to Africa where there will be no cellular service and limited opportunities to get an internet connection via WiFi. I don't want to take my laptop. The WiFi enabled SD cards have me wondering if I can set up a virtual network between my camera, iPhone and/or iPad and a WiFi enabled hard drive? What I would like to do is chose a few images each day to copy to my phone or iPad during the day and then transfer all of the files to a portable hard drive or large thumb drive at night. Then when I get to a WiFi enabled internet connection post the images of the day from my phone to FB as a blog of the trip. Am I better off just getting the camera connection kit for phone and pad and enough cards to not worry about off loading images each day? I know there used to be devices that would copy files between any 2 'dumb' storage devices without a PC, but I haven't seen those in awhile. Can a phone act in a similar way?

-- hide signature --

Zeiss taste...Beercan budget!

Alpha Jack's gear list:Alpha Jack's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow