Short Center Column on the Manfrotto 504HD head (tall person problems)

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jeanlucretard
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Short Center Column on the Manfrotto 504HD head (tall person problems)
10 months ago

I’m 6’4”. I wanted a tall tripod. I picked up some Slik 700DX legs because it can extend to 70 something inches. I know it’s not the best out there, but it’s my first tripod and it was affordable and can carry the weight that I require. I was happy with it when I got it.
Then the 504HD head came in the mail and I soon figured out that I couldn’t attach it to the Slik directly, I would have to remove its center column and put the Manfrotto’s custom one in it. But the Manfrotto has no real center column adjustability – it’s extremely short. I’m losing all the height that I was after.
So, now I’m pondering whether I need to return/replace the legs or the head - or is there an economical alternative to either of those options?
In the middle of writing this thread, I stumbled upon this, which looks like something I could use to use with the Slik’s center column?:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Adapter.html 
But there’s a review that says it doesn’t have leveling like the 504HD.
Like I mentioned before, I’m new to all this, so I actually don’t even know how leveling will affect performance or why I need it, but I don’t like the idea of losing a feature of something I paid a lot of money for.
I do realize I won’t need to be extended completely all the time, or even most of the time. What irks me is the loss of options.
Is there another adapter out there that will work better? Or do you have recommendations on another set of legs or head that I can get in the same price range as the ones I have?  It will actually be a bummer having to buy another adapter because that will cancel out the rebate that I got on the Manfrotto.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow