Started Jun 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
okay math experts - a question
Jun 6, 2013

as we all know the crop factor of the APS-c sensor when compared to 35mm is roughly 1.5 which would make my 30mm on my NEX-7 roughly equal to a 45mm on 35mm

what I want to know is if cropped a 12mp image out of the center of an image from my NEX-7 what would the crop factor of that be as compared to 35mm

the reason I ask is because I am perfectly happy with 12mp images for portraits and I would love to know what the 35mm equivalent would be if I stand back with my sigma 30mm and then crop the image down to 12mp to get proper framing.

I guess what I am really trying to decide is if I really need a dedicated portrait lens or can I get what I want by simply standing further back with the 30 and then cropping

as a side note, I am not interested in other aspects such as aperture or subject isolation that a faster lens might offer, I already understand those issues very well, I just want to know about focal lenght equivalencies

I hope I made that clear

Thank you

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
HVL-F20AM Flash
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
heheNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow