Started Jun 5, 2013 | Photos thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,136Gear list
Like?
Re: micro 4/3s , Owls IF
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Jun 6, 2013

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Fleabag wrote:

Micro 4/3's doing birds in flight is like saying a '64 bug is a race car. Yes it can race, but...

I love my EM-5 but a BIF camera it is not.

But if it is what you have and is what you can afford it does OK pro rata for the investment and IMO does as well as a DSLR for the same amount of money.  I don't have the money or inclination to go formula 1 so I'll do a bit of karting.

A modern entry dSLR like the D5100 and the 70-300VR are going to be far quicker to track the bird and will cost the same or less new ... so it is quite unlikely that a mirrorless camera is going to outdo a modern entry dSLR with BIF ...

Which is not to say that good shots cannot be done. these are ok, but the shutter is too low and the AF was barely there on the first and totally missed on the second. I suspect that tracking AF and manual mode with faster shutter and perhaps higher ISO might do a better job ... but the dSLR can do that too, and better ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow