A Pro's opinion of EVF vs OVF

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
seahawk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017
Like?
Re: A Pro's opinion of EVF vs OVF
In reply to WD, Jun 6, 2013

WD wrote:

Why would a D300 comparable DX version of V1 be desirable rather than a D5100?  A D300 isn't strictly for action shooters.

I would say it is. Surely it can be used for other shooting styles as well, but with the cheap FX camera in the market (D600) the main audience for that cameras must be people shooting fast moving subejcts with long lenses under all light conditions.

Let's assume the AF is improved.  V1 already beats my D300 in light down to dusk for speed of acquisition.  Accuracy is at least as good...if not better.  Hopefully, that could improve as could ability to track moving objects.  V1 is already capable of following moving children, people jogging. etc.  Improvement may not match a D300, but would certainly beat a D5100.

Then add silent shutter, 10fps.  I find that immensely useful in candid photos, or group pics.  How often I find the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th group shot the perfect one.  The movie mode is quite useful as well.

Add D300 external controls for WB; exposure comp; mode; focus point; quality; ISO etc.; and on camera flash compatible with Nikon's complete flash system which the current V1 lacks and we're talking about a camera WAY above a D5100.  And, possibly, a camera which many current dSLR users would find superior in importantan ways  (TO THEM) than even a D7100.

There are numerous EVF cameras available today.  Many have rabidly devoted users.  Visit the m4/3 forum.  There are strong reasons why people like them.  I have found, I like them...with reservations.

However, were Nikon able to produce a camera such as I described, those reservations would be eliminated for me.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Sorry V1 AF is imho good for casual use, exactly the things you are mentioning, but my one time try at an airshow suggests that it fails miserably there. It gets distracted by trees in the background, it gets confused when two planes cross. It struggles when facing a medium grey aircraft in front of a grey sky.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow