Forum ProPosts: 13,133
Like?
Re: Your Urban Legend
In reply to Just Having Fun, Jun 5, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

Midwest wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

mferencz wrote:

The mere fact that you opened this post and responded to it tells me your concerned enough to take the 30 seconds out of your life which it entails.  If the article was just nonsense I would assume that wouldn't be the case.

Maybe some one should clue him in on this...

Phase-detection autofocus (even using still targets and center-point only) wasn’t nearly as accurate as contrast detection.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

If you want the most accurate focusing you need CDAF.  Even manual focusing is not better...

The contrast-detection autofocus was about as accurate as the most careful manual focusing.

As long as you have time for CDAF it's great. Unfortunately it's far too slow...

That of course is an Urban Legend.

DPR for years (since the GH2) has been reporting that many CDAF cameras are some of the fastest focusing cameras on the market.

(example: "Single AF acquisition is impressively fast - using most Micro Four Thirds lenses will result in some of the fastest focus on any system.")

So while focus tracking is still an Achilles heal, CDAF does offer more accurate focusing and  "some of the fastest focus on any system".

I NEED to be able to track focus sometimes. Why the sales pitch? Do I need permission and justification to use the camera that works for me?

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice. (sarcasm)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow